Wednesday 31 August 2011

Playing 20 question with D.B. Moon

My second Guest this week - and the last of the month - is the awesome D.B. Moon! Welcome to My World. Thank you so much for stopping by to play twenty questions with me : )


DB: It is my pleasure to be here, Elizabeth, thank you for having me! Love what you’ve done with the place.

EM: Why thank you. I do try.

Before we begin, could you tell us a little about yourself?

DB: Of course, my name is D.B. Moon, I had been working as a freelance online content writer for about four years before I decided to take the plunge into the world of romance and indulge in my passion for fiction writing.

I reside in beautiful Boulder, Colorado with my writer/game designer husband, Eben, my two kids, three entitled cats and one hopelessly neurotic but loveable dog.

When not arguing with the voices in my head (otherwise known as my characters) I work as a certified dog trainer and work almost exclusively with shelter dogs, I am also a student working toward my vet tech degree, and am always on the hunt for a decent caramel latte. (I may be a bit of a coffee snob)


EM: Mmm coffee... Are you ready to play 20 questions? *rubs hands together*

DB: Should I be nervous? No? The wicked gleam in your eye indicates otherwise.

EM: *Puts on some shades* Better?


Which do you find harder to write?


1. First person POV or Third?

Oh first person! I get side tracked so easily that the few times I have written first person, the inner ramblings of the character last for four pages before I can even get to the story.


2. As a male or female?

I can write either, I am a female, but have many male friends, so I can slip into either way of thinking.


3. Beginning, middle or end of the story?

The middle, definitely the middle! The beginning and the end are what I come up with right away, it is connecting the two that I occasionally struggle with.

EM: I'm with you on that one. The middle can be a real pain.


4. Fight scenes or sex scenes?

Sex scenes, which is why my work is considered “sweet.” My intimate scenes seem forced, contrived, and very unbelievable. I applaud all authors who can write the “good stuff”


5. Synopsis or blurb?

The synopsis is supposed to tell the story without the story telling, the blurb is summing up your entire work in 150 words (more or less). I am a long-winded storyteller, so I have a bit of trouble with both.

EM: I personally believe that both are creations of the devil. *stabs synopsis and blur with pen* Ahem... Moving on...


As a writer, do you prefer:


6. Writing in the morning, afternoon or evening?

I start as early as 5 a.m., and try to get in as much writing as I can before my four-year-old wakes up. In the afternoon I park myself at the local coffee shop during preschool to finish what I started that morning.


7. Writing with music, or in peace?

Everything I’ve written has a its own playlist for my Ipod. Every playlist varies in mood and theme, but there are a few artists that I carry over to the next project (And the next, and the next). Amy Winehouse, Metallica, and Otis Redding are my muses.


8. Planning, or Improvising?

When a story concept strikes, I start with a general idea where I am going to end up. I am a big believer in giving my characters free reign, and let them tell the story the way they want. Sometimes I have to go in and rewrite scenes that I feel are too soon, or just not plausible to the story line, but more often than not, I merely take dictation.


9. Juggling a few projects, or concentrating on one at a time?

As much as I love to multi task, I am a writing monogamist, and can only concentrate on one project at a time.

EM: Me to! I wish I could juggle projects but I know for a fact that I will end up hopping from each one and end up with a dozen half finished stories, which just wouldn't do.


10. Sticking to one genre, or exploring many?

The beauty of the romance genre is that as a writer I can experiment with different genres, while keeping the romance alive.

EM: Amen!


As a reader, do you prefer:


11. Story being told from female view or male?

As long as the story is engaging, really could care less if it is told by a male, female or an ape. (Sorry, just finished Ape House by Sarah Gruen. Have Bonobos on the brain)


12. Good guys or bad boys?

Oh give me the bad boy any day!


13. Feisty females or fragile damsels?

I am a card-carrying member of the National Organization for Women—so I will take the feisty female over the fragile damsel every single time!


14. Stand alone stories or series?

If I am going to emotionally invest time and effort into beloved characters, I want to be kept in the loop, and find out what is going on with them, so a series is preferable.


15. Quick reads or long stories?

Give me a long sweeping family saga! Some of my favorite stories are The Godfather, The Thornbirds, The Color Purple, Forever Amber

EM: I have the thornbirds on dvd! The Color purple makes me cry every time.


16. Romance as a side dish or the main course?

Hmmmm, I prefer it as a main course, but will take it on the side if the story dictates it to be so.

EM: *giggles at pun* I'm so naughty minded. : P


17. Erotica or soft romance or something in-between?

Give me the foreplay and the aftermath, I can fill in the “in between” myself.


18. More action or humor?

A perfect blending of both. Who doesn’t love a gripping page-turner coupled with unexpected giggles?


Just for fun:


19. Vampires or Angels?

Bring on the vampires, they always make life more interesting!


20. Werewolves or Demons?

Oooooh, tough one! Um, yeah I would have to say demon, it’s that whole bad boy thing, making life interesting.


What are you currently working on?

I am currently working on a romantic murder mystery called Accidental Intent. It started out as a contemporary romantic comedy, but then a dead body showed up and the “hero” revealed he was a cop, so I am now knee deep into a genre I have never written, and having a blast! Can’t wait to find out who the bad guys are!


Do you have any current release?

Noble Romance released my debut novel SUMMERLAND at the beginning of August. I am very grateful to everyone at Noble for taking a gamble on me and my cast of colorfully dysfunctional characters.

Blurb:

Set against the backdrop of glittering Hollywood, the story of Summerland looks behind the tabloid headlines, to show that celebrities are just like everyone else—sort of.

After two years of mourning, Rhiann Taylor, a former paparazzi magnet, has found an appreciation for anonymity during her self-imposed exile. However, she finds it difficult to stay under the radar when launching a high profile, fashion design business. Especially when you add a smitten rock star, a self absorbed international playboy, an assistant who reads minds better than a psychic and a dead boyfriend who won’t leave her alone.

The tabloid frenzy comes to a fevered pitch. Family secrets come out of the closet and friendships tested beyond everyone’s comfort zone. Rhiann will need to find the brazenness she once possessed, embrace the anger she has suppressed, and meet a vulnerability she has never known, to face the scariest prospect of all, falling in love again.

Purchase link:

https://www.nobleromance.com/Books?author=185
http://www.amazon.com/ (In the Kindle store)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ (In the Kindle store)


Where can readers find you on the internet?

I can be found hanging out on my blog http://dbmoonauthor.blogspot.com/

On my Facebook author page D.B. Moon

On Twitter DBMoonbook

Or on Goodreads


EM: Thank you so much for joining me! : )

DB: Thank you so much for inviting me to hang out! It has been fun!

6 comments:

  1. Great interview, Elizabeth & D.B.:-) Loved the questions...and the answers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely interview! I do so enjoy catching a glimpse into other authors lives. Fascinating.

    She-wolf is on the TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview. Looking forward to reading your new book when you get it finished DB and as soon as the GC from the release party Saturday hit my inbox I'll be getting Summerland. Love the look of the blog Elizabeth The banner and background are great and it was really easy to see the text to read the whole post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading this interview (questions & answers) and getting to know DBMoon better. I heard I was to play this little game soon, so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed the interview Ursula. : )

    The background is rather funky, isn't it Michelle? Glad it's not to much strain on the eyes.

    *rubs hands together* KB, and Chris, I can't wait to have you on my blog : P

    Thanks you all for stopping by & giving some love : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Ursula, hope we meet again sometime!

    KB and Chris, I can't wait to catch a glimpse into your writing habits.

    Michelle, I hope you enjoy Summerland and Accidental Intent. (If I can get it finished, the plot twists are developing faster than I can type)

    Elizabeth, thank you again for taking the time to "chat" with me

    ReplyDelete