Wednesday 7 December 2011

Playing 20 Questions with Doris O'Connor!

Today I am joined by the lovely Doris O'Connor...

EM: Welcome to My World, Doris. Thank you so much for stopping by to play twenty questions with me : )

Before we begin, could you tell us a little about yourself?

Thanks so much for having me :-)

In a nutshell, I am a wife, mother, Author, breastfeeding counselor, pet owner, chauffeur, cleaner, domestic goddess (not!), UN peace keeper (at least it feels like that at times!) and all round nutty person, called Doris.

Hubby and I have been together for 24 years, married 22 years and we have a brood of nine children, ranging in age from 21 years down to 3 months. We also have two dogs, two cats and two gerbils and we live in a far too small house in Bedfordhshire/England.

EM: Are you ready to play 20 questions? *Rubs hands together*

DO: *Takes a deep breath*

Which do you find harder to write?


1. First person POV or Third?

I have yet to attempt First person, so I would have to say that.

2. As a male or female?

It used to be male, but it's getting easier.

3. Beginning, middle or end of the story?


Middle, definitely. At the beginning I'm all exited and the end writes itself, because once I can see the finishing line, I become a woman obsessed and literally cannot stop writing. The middle gets me every time. It's like wading through treacle!

EM: *Shudders at the thought of wading through treacle* I totally agree, but yuk. I can't stand treacle lol

4. Fight scenes or smex scenes?

Fight scenes. I love writing smex scenes, lol. The only problem with those is that the baby needs to be asleep. I can't write those scenes when he's cooing away in the back ground.

5. Synopsis or blurb?

Synopsis. I detest synops with a vengeance. How on earth are you supposed to distill a 50K book into a few pages. Having said that, I find them quite easy to do for other people. My crit group keeps volunteering me! Just find it really difficult to write my own.

As a writer, do you prefer:

6. Writing in the morning, afternoon or evening?

Evening, night time, just because the children are asleep and I can concentrate. Having said that though, I grab time whenever I can. I have to juggle writing round so many different things, I'd never write otherwise and to be fair, if my characters are talking, there is no stopping me. I have been known to write whilst cooking dinner!

EM: You are a skilled Jedi multitasker.

7. Writing with music, or in peace?

I would love to say peace, but in reality there is always something going on in the background.

8. Planning, or Improvising?

I'm a panster all the way. I start off with a vague idea, may even have a plot line and then I start writing and those pesky characters go off in a completely different direction. It's infuriating and exciting all rolled into one, lol.

9. Juggling a few projects, or concentrating on one at a time?


One at a time, usually. I have two on the go at the moment, but that's only because one character is shouting louder than the others. And I have to finish his story before I go back to the other one. Don't think it would be a good idea to annoy a few thousand year old vampire...

EM: It never is, they tend to have tantrums if you do... O_o

10. Sticking to one genre, or exploring many?

I love to explore. So far I've written contemporary, erotic and paranormal and am just venturing into BDSM.

As a reader, do you prefer:

11. Story being told from female view or male?

I don't mind, as long as the story is told well.

12. Good guys or bad boys?

Ooohh, bad boys all the way, but they need to be tortured and redeem themselves.

13. Feisty females or fragile damsels?

Feisty females, I write them and I want to read about them. Can't be doing with whimpering females. I just want to slap them!

14. Stand alone stories or series?

Both, though I love disovering a new series.

15. Quick reads or long stories?

Again, both. Depends how much time I have on my hands.

16. Romance as a side dish or the main course?

Main course, every time. I'm a complete sucker for a HEA or at the very least a HFN.

17. Erotica or soft romance or something in-between?

Erotica, mostly. Though I have been known to enjoy the odd sensual romance and plenty in between. I read most things tbh, as long as the story holds my attention.

18. More action or humor?

Hmm humour I think, but see above. I read all sorts.

Just for fun:


19. Vampires or Angels?

Vampires!

20. Werewolves or Demons?

Werewolves

What are you currently working on?

Right now I am working on Lucas' story. Readers will have met him in Lure Of The Blood, one of my current releases. He's been niggling at me ever since Marnie and Ion got their HEA, demanding one of his own. You know that vampire I mentioned above - that's him. I am also working on a BDSM, menage novella, but it has taken a back seat for now.

Do you have any current release?

I Have two :-)

Scandinavian Scandal


Blurb:

Sven Larsson, international movie star, is out to repair his scandalous reputation. The last thing he needs is an enticing bundle of curves falling into his arms. However, the instant sexual chemistry he has with Sylvia is hard to ignore . . . .

Sylvia, a young widow and mother of three, knows Sven is everything she doesn’t need in a man. Can she risk giving in to temptation? With the paparazzi breathing down their necks and both of them scarred emotionally by their past demons, will Sven and Sylvia manage to heal each other?

Purchase link: https://www.nobleromance.com/Books/363/Scandanavian-Scandal

Lure Of The Blood


Blurb:

Marnie's decision to finance her law degree by pole dancing awakens her latent sexuality, and the mysterious stranger lurking in the shadows sends her libido into overdrive.

Realizing her sexy lurker is a vampire is bad enough, but her boss is the alpha wolf of a pack of shifters? Torn between her attraction to both men and surrounded by danger, she has a decision to make. One that will change her life forever.

Purchase Link: http://www.evernightpublishing.com/lure-of-the-blood-by-doris-oconnor/

Any upcoming releases?

A few :-) I have an Erotic Romance scheduled for release with Evernight in January, a parnaormal Anthology with Breathless Press in February, and Awakening, which will be released on December 16th.

Blurb:

Her body is his to command, her pleasure at his will - her submission complete. Will her heart survive the fantasy?

For straight-laced school teacher, Astrid, sex was a subject outside her curriculum. So she is not impressed with her birthday present - a trip to a tropical island of sexual abandonment.

That is until she wakes up in her very own Arabian Fantasy.

Ordered to pleasure Prince Rashid, her dream lover awakens needs she never knew she had. Will her submission hold the key to her heart? And can reality ever live up to fantasy?

Purchase link: http://www.breathlesspress.com/

Where can readers find you on the internet?

Website: http://www.dorisoconnor.com/
Blog: http://thetardisscribbles.blogspot.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/mamaD8
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Doris-OConnor-Romance-Author/241366635885432

EM: Thank you so much for joining me, Doris!

DO: Thanks again, Elizabeth. Its been a blast :-)

6 comments:

  1. Loved this interview! And I'm waiting ever so patiently to read the Lucas story... very patiently! ;)

    Good luck with your forthcoming release, Doris.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Xandra. Well, I shall have to wait for Lucas to stop sulking. He took offence at the bears taking over - whoops. Once he's finished his tantrum *looks over her shoulder to make sure he's not lurking* I'll be able to finish it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Doris... if we were all as manic as you, I'd have 10 books out. I love the way you write, What you write... oh and SVEN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great questions and answers. You have always been prolific. The rest of us have to keep up. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, Lucas is a bad boy isn't he ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for stopping by and giving Doris some love folks! : )

    And thank you for hanging out with me, Doris! It was fun ^_^

    ReplyDelete