Sunday 8 July 2012

The pen is mightier than the sword


Or at least in my case it is, but that’s because my sword is made or wood. Yep, I have a sword and I have pictures to prove it.

Am I seriously writing a post about a wooden sword?

You bet I am. And thinks of all the innuendos . . . :-P

I don't know if other writers use props when they are writing. In all honesty, I don't, but I made an exception with the sword. Either because Cranberry Blood was my first book, and Heather my first character, or because I am just a geek; probably a mixture of both. :-D

The sword was actually bought from Conway castle and was a present for my brother when he was a heck of a lot younger. My mother got it him, and when he eventually decided to clear his room out he wanted to get rid of it; so I stole it.

Why?

Because I wanted to write a book about a vampire slayer and I thought have a sword would be a cool prop in case I needed to plan out fight scenes.

Does that mean I have actually stood in my room swinging this sword round?

Your damn right it does. If I get stuck on fight scenes I try to walk them out, and the sword helps when your characters has one. But I actually found that it was helpful to have the sword on my lap while writing Heather. She has an attachment to her own sword, and somehow having my little wooden one turned out to be quite helpful in channelling her voice.

Crazy?

Perhaps I am, and perhaps it is, but hey, it worked, didn’t it? I wrote the book. :-P

Quote:

"The pen is mightier than the sword." - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

No comments:

Post a Comment