Monday 17 December 2012

Playing 20 Questions with Jessica E. Subject


EM: Welcome to My World, Jessica. Thank you so much for stopping by to play twenty questions with me :-)

Before we begin, could you tell us a little about yourself?

Thanks so much for having me on your blog, Elizabeth! It’s a pleasure to be here. I’m Jessica Subject. Yep, that’s my real name. LOL I write romance, whether it be contemporary, science fiction, or paranormal. And it can range from sweet to super-hot, gonna-need-a-fan sexy. I’m also wife to a wonderful man, and mother to two great (most of the time) kids.

EM: Are you ready to play 20 questions? *rubs hands together*

J.E.S: *grins* I’m looking forward to it.

Feel free to answer in as much detail as you like!

Which do you find harder to write?

1. First person POV or Third? 
First, though I wrote my first story in first person. It changed POVs though, during revisions.

2. As a male or female? 
Male. Thank goodness I have my husband to read over scenes for me to tell me whether or not my guys sound like guys. I’m getting better at it though. I just think, what would my husband or his friends do or say in the same situation?

3. Beginning, middle or end of the story? 
The middle is the hardest for me until I get to the end and have to make sure all loose ends are tied up.

4. Fight scenes or smex scenes? 
Fight scenes, though I’ve gotten a lot of help from two other awesome authors (Lorna Suzuki and DL Jackson) with those. They both write kick-ass fight scenes.

5. Synopsis or blurb? 
Synopsis.


As a writer, do you prefer:

6. Writing in the morning, afternoon or evening? 
Morning. Though I can’t write when I know I have other things to do, so I usually end up writing in the afternoon.

7. Writing with music, or in peace? 
I need some kind of background noise whether it be the television or music. If it’s a song I like though, I usually dance to it. As long as the noise is not my kids fighting, I’m good with noise.

8. Planning, or Improvising? 
I’m anal about things being organized in my life. I thrive on a schedule. When it comes to my writing though, I’m a bit different. I generally have a rough outline for the story, but I’m okay with characters taking me in a different direction.

9. Juggling a few projects, or concentrating on one at a time? 
While I always have more than one project on the go at a time, I can only concentrate on one, and push the others aside.

10. Sticking to one genre, or exploring many? 
I’m sticking to romance, though I do explore several sub-genres. Plus, I write new adult (sweeter) stories, all the way to erotica.


As a reader, do you prefer:

11. Story being told from female view or male?
It doesn’t matter to me, so long as the hero doesn’t sound like a girl. That’s not cool.

12. Good guys or bad boys? 
I like bad boys who finally find “the one” to tame their old ways.

13. Feisty females or fragile damsels? 
I like balance in the female characters. I don’t want them to be completely fragile, but even the kick-ass heroines have to have a weakness.

14. Stand alone stories or series? 
I love both. Don’t have a preference.

15. Quick reads or long stories? 
Right now, I’m reading some shorts as I read a novel. It really depends on what I’m in the mood for when I have a moment to read.

16. Romance as a side dish or the main course? 
Most of the time, as the main course.

17. Erotica or soft romance or something in-between? 
Once again, it depends what I’m in the mood for.

18. More action or humor? 
A great story has both. J


Just for fun:

19. Vampires or Angels? 
Aliens LOL

20. Werewolves or Demons? 
I was going to say Aliens again, but I’ve read some great werewolf stories.


What are you currently working on?

I’m working on a couple of different projects. I’m writing the first story in my Alien Next Door trilogy, called Alien Adoration. Recently, I received the rights back to my Mark of the Stars series, so I’m revising them, and hope to publish, at least, the first two in the series next year.

Do you have any current release?

Yes, Alien Lover just released on December 7, from Decadent Publishing. It is a sci-fi MF erotica short story that is part of The Edge line.

Blurb: 
Unconvinced of her fiancĂ©’s demise, Molly combs the galaxy to search for him. As her supplies run low, she is forced to turn around and set a course for Earth, alone. But, a Moloxian Starcruiser halts her retreat, and the single passenger transports onto her ship without permission. Taser in hand to defend herself, she is startled as the form remolds into her fiancĂ©. Has Diego found her or is her tired mind playing tricks?


Excerpt:
“Incoming message,” the computer chimed. “Source located one nautical mile away, starboard.”
She brushed her hands across the console and brought the video feed from the ship’s right hand side onscreen. The image quivered, and she groaned when it finally became clear. A Moloxian starcruiser.
Shit! I just want to go home. During her search, the crews of the few Moloxian scavenger ships she’d come across had been willing to let her pass if she traded with them. But she had nothing left, only enough food and fuel to reach Earth, and even then she’d be hungry during the last leg of her journey.
“Play.” She decided to listen to their demands, give them what they wanted, and move on. She had no other choice. Starvation was a better alternative than providing the sexual services they’d always hinted at. The Moloxians, though humanoid, had scale-covered bodies. So incompatible with her own. She wouldn’t survive unscathed and didn’t sleep around anyway.
“Prepare to be boarded.” The deep computerized voice shook her. No slur, and therefore not Moloxian. Who the hell was he?
She didn’t have time to contemplate. Her blood boiling, she gripped the arms of her chair. The creature, whatever species he happened to be, planned to come onto her ship. No one boarded without her permission, which she would not grant. At the sound of her transporter, like the pitter-patter of rain on Earth, she leaped from her seat and spun around. She grasped her bolt stunner and pointed it at the figure materializing into solid form before her eyes.
With a huge outline, the male boarding her ship would only bring her trouble. If his strength matched his size, she had one option: to kill him. She took in his bare, broad chest, sculpted abs, and muscled arms. His tanned skin shone with brilliance, as if the sun rested behind him. She gazed up at his dark hair and warm brown eyes. He studied her with an intense stare while his soft lips curved into a smile.
She gasped. “Diego?”

Any upcoming releases?

Yes! As a matter of fact, I have two releases for early next year. Made For Her is an erotic sci-fi military romance set to release January 15, 2013. And Accidental Romance is a New Adult Romance story that is part of Decadent’s new Challenge series.

Blurbs:

Made For Her

After terrorists murder the love of her life, Colonel Mikayla Jones trains squadron after squadron of the clones he brought to life, to take to the skies. When she discovers a young clone of her husband in her newest class, her world spins out of control. How can she command the look-a-like when she can’t help but yearn for him to fill an ache in her heart?

Dare was created to be the best. As the first Daniel clone to leave Onatria labs, he needs to prove he is more than just a DNA copy. To do that, he must rely on the wife of the man who donated his genes. But when she refuses to train him, Dare faces discharge and returning to the labs. Can he convince Colonel Jones to finish his training and find a way into her bed? Or will long kept secrets unhinge the entire clone project?

Accidental Romance

At twenty-two, Leanne Declan has graduated from college and is training to take over the family farm. But after she gets her hand caught in a grain auger, her life is changed forever. Without her dominant hand, she is unable to do the everyday chores that she used to. Even dressing herself proves difficult. She must depend on her family and friends as she learns to live life as an amputee. And in the process, she may find the love that has always been right in front of her.

Where can readers find you on the internet?

Here are my links:

EM: Thank you so much for joining me!

J.E.S: And thanks again for having me! J 

I would like to offer a book swag package to anyone who leaves a comment with their email address. I will draw the winner on December 19, 2012. Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, thank you so much for inviting me into your world! I had a lot of fun with these 20 questions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a pleasure having you, Jessica. I'm glad you had fun, and hope you come back to visit soon! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete