Wednesday 20 February 2013

Playing 20 Questions with Alexa Bourne


EM: Welcome to My World, Alexa. Thank you so much for stopping by to play twenty questions with me. :- )

Before we begin, could you tell us a little about yourself?

Sure thing! I’m a teacher by day and a romantic suspense writer by nights, weekends, and all school holidays. I also teach online classes for writers throughout the year and do some freelance editing. I’m thrilled to be writing for Decadent Publishing and to have the chance to share my love of Great Britain with readers everywhere. When I’m not concocting sinister plots and steamy love scenes or traveling and exploring new cultures, I spend my time reading, watching brainless TV and thinking about exercising.

EM: Are you ready to play 20 questions? *rubs hands together*

AB: Yes, I am!


Which do you find harder to write?

1. First person POV or Third?

First Person. I think that’s partly because I don’t really like reading it.

2. As a male or female?

As a male. I don’t always understand men!

3. Beginning, middle or end of the story?

Um…..all of it? No, seriously it’s the middle part. I sometimes have a hard time keeping my clues (for the suspense part of the stories) organized in my head and in my manuscript.

4. Fight scenes or smex scenes?

Smex scenes. I mean, they’re so personal and it feels weird to be sharing these activities with everyone when it’s supposed to be such an intimate event.

5. Synopsis or blurb?

I honestly don’t know. I don’t mind either.

As a writer, do you prefer:

6. Writing in the morning, afternoon or evening?

Definitely evening. I’d rather stay up until 2 AM writing than get up an hour earlier to write.

7. Writing with music, or in peace?

Most of the time I like music on while I’m working. I usually pick a new CD for each book and it usually “fits” the story. For example, my Scottish stories had bagpipe music, and my New Year’s story had Christmas and New Year’s music.

8. Planning, or Improvising?

Improvising. I’m soooooooo not a plotter! My characters take me on wild rides sometimes!

9. Juggling a few projects, or concentrating on one at a time?

I used to work on just one project at a time, but once I got published I found I couldn’t do that anymore. I’m usually drafting a story while brainstorming the next one while editing another and promoting another.

10. Sticking to one genre, or exploring many?

I pretty much stick with romantic suspense. It’s what I love. I branched out to contemporary for a new project Decadent is doing this year. I tried to write historical, but that was a disaster. (I’m going to stick to only reading historical!)


As a reader, do you prefer:

11. Story being told from female view or male?

I like both.

12. Good guys or bad boys?

It depends on how bad the bad boys are. J

13. Feisty females or fragile damsels?

Feisty. I can’t stand a woman who can’t help herself. I don’t mind if she needs help, but she’s got to be willing to pull her weight in solving the problems!

14. Stand alone stories or series?

Either.

15. Quick reads or long stories?

Well, I don’t do too well with extremely long stories. I still haven’t read Gone With the Wind yet because the page count scares me!

16. Romance as a side dish or the main course?

It depends on my mood.

17. Erotica or soft romance or something in-between?

Again, it depends on my mood.

18. More action or humor?

Action.

Just for fun:

19. Vampires or Angels?

Angels.

20. Werewolves or Demons?

Neither. I’m really not a fan of these types of stories.

What are you currently working on?

I’m working on the edits for a contracted short story romance set in modern day Scotland. I’m also working on the final draft of another Scottish short story romance I hope to submit to my epublisher soon.

Do you have any current release?

Yes! Through the Eyes of Darkness is my first print book (YAY!!!) and it released February 12th! It’s the printed version of my first 3 ebooks that released separately last year. All are set in Great Britain and each story has at least one character employed by my fictional bodyguard agency, the International Protective Network.

Blurb:

The International Protective Network hires the most efficient operatives to protect their clients, but what happens when those employees need to face their personal demons in order to get the job done?

A broken-down bodyguard with no confidence...an American lass with no memory...a technical analyst more confident with computers than people...a lad living in the past...a new operative with something to prove...a former soldier struggling with her war scars.

In the cozy communities of the British Isles, three couples charge through the dangers confronting them in order to find truth, justice and the love they deserve.

Purchase link:


~ * ~

Excerpt:

This excerpt is from Fractured Paradise (the 2nd story in Through the Eyes of Darkness):

“A bit of a disappointment, I expect.” A rich, deep voice with a twinge of an English accent drifted from behind her.
She whirled around. Her hair whipped against her cheeks and made her wish for the hundredth time today she hadn’t packed all her hair clips.
“Sorry. I didn’t mean to frighten you.”
The stranger paused beside the edge of the clearing, and her heart stuttered. Although no one would mistake him for a Hollywood leading man, this guy could command attention by stepping into a room. Or onto an island.
“That’s okay. You didn’t.” She permitted her gaze to wander over him.
He kept his hands stuffed into the front pockets of faded jeans. The wind tore at his gray long-sleeved shirt, outlining the contours of a well-defined chest. Unruly light brown hair touched his collar. High cheekbones accented his deep-set eyes. Not friendly eyes, but no threat lay behind them either, at least none she could uncover.
He pulled a hand from his pocket and held it out. “Aidan Camden of Dawson Tours, your neighbor from across the water.” He tipped his head toward the way he’d come.
Camden. His name sounded familiar, but why? She shook his hand with a hint of hesitation. “Rachel Grant.”
His fingers warmed her skin, his grip strong and confident. Awareness trailed along her arm. Then again, it could be the accent that made her skin tingle. British accents never failed to stir her emotions.
A trace of a smile danced on his lips. “Aye, the American.”
Huh. “You know of me?”
A low rumble of laughter slipped from his mouth, the sound relaxing her from deep within. “Word travels fast here. I saw you paddling your way out.”
Paddling? No, he’d seen her fighting with the oars. Until today, she’d never set foot on a boat, much less held an oar. But she would consider swimming across the Atlantic Ocean if it would make Nan happy.
“Tell me, Mr. Camden, are you in the habit of following foreigners?”
“No, lass, but you’re all the talk of the Roker area. The mighty Grant descendant, come to see about selling the family cottage.”
Selling?

~ * ~

Any upcoming releases?

Nothing yet! I’m still waiting for the release date of my first short story romance, Carry Me Home.

Blurb (for Carry Me Home):

Mary MacDougall has returned to Glenhalish for one thing: her husband Jamie’s signature on the divorce papers. But Jamie has no intention of throwing away the partnership they’ve built since they were children. Instead, he plans a sweet seduction to remind her why they are meant to be together forever.

Where can readers find you on the internet?

Twitter: @AlexaBourne

EM: Thank you so much for joining me!

AB: Thank you for having me!

No comments:

Post a Comment