Friday 15 March 2013

Playing 20 Questions with Jennifer Simpkins



EM: Welcome to My World, Jennifer. Thank you so much for stopping by to play twenty questions with me :-)

Before we begin, could you tell us a little about yourself?

Sure. I’m a wife, mother, and contemporary romance author. My husband and I just celebrated our ten year wedding anniversary earlier this month. I have one child, a daughter, who is six. Three years ago I started writing my first romance novel, Forgiving Patience. At first it started out as a way for me to have a meaningful, adult conversation—even if it was only in my head—since I spent my days watching Dora the Explorer and talking to a three year old. So, I spent my days taking care of my family and my nights with a sexy hero and strong-willed heroine. This year my daughter started school, so now I get to spend my days writing.

Since baseball season is about to start, if I’m not writing you will most likely find me in front of the television cheering on my New York Yankees. My family is pretty obsessed when it comes to baseball. My daughter started playing baseball at three years old, and then switched over to softball when she was five. Oh…and I love Derek Jeter.  

EM: Are you ready to play 20 questions? *rubs hands together*

JS: Actually, Elizabeth, I’m pretty nervous about it. LOL.

EM: I will be nice I promise. :-P

Which do you find harder to write?

1. First person POV or Third?

I have never written in first person, so I guess I would have to say that would be the hardest for me. It would probably take some getting used to.

2. As a male or female?

You’ll probably find this odd since I am a female, but I find writing from their POV harder. Don’t ask me why. I love writing from the male’s POV.

3. Beginning, middle or end of the story?

I would have to say somewhere between the beginning and the middle. It’s around that time that I start to wonder if the story is heading in the right direction.

4. Fight scenes or smex scenes?

My books don’t have any fight scenes in them, well…I take that back. In Forgiving Patience, Jake and his brother Bradley get into a little bit of a fight because Bradley likes to run his mouth and knows all the right buttons to push when it comes to his big brother. I have to admit that I sometimes do have trouble with the smex scenes. I especially do when it’s a turning point in the relationship. These are romance books, and I don’t want to disappoint the reader. Although, everyone has their own taste.

5. Synopsis or blurb?

Synopsis all the way.


As a writer, do you prefer:

6. Writing in the morning, afternoon or evening?

I’m a night owl, so even though I have all day free to write, I get a lot more done after my family goes to bed.

7. Writing with music, or in peace?

This is an easy one – I HAVE to listen to music when doing anything. When I’m writing the smexy scenes I listen to certain songs, like Bob Seger’s, Night Moves, and when a girls’ night is going on I listen to something like BeyoncĂ©’s, Run the World (Girls).

8. Planning, or Improvising?

I start with a basic idea and then it takes off from there. I do put a little thought into the story and characters before I sit down to write, but as far as knowing what’s going to happen in every little scene, that just comes to me as the scene develops.

9. Juggling a few projects, or concentrating on one at a time?

I am not one of those writers who can write more than one book at a time. I’m amazed at those that can.

10. Sticking to one genre, or exploring many?

Right now I only write contemporary romance, but that doesn’t mean I won’t challenge myself with other genres later on in my career.

As a reader, do you prefer:

11. Story being told from female view or male?

I like it to be 50/50. But I do love those scenes when it’s written in the males POV.

12. Good guys or bad boys?

Bad boys.

13. Feisty females or fragile damsels?

Feisty.

14. Stand alone stories or series?

I like both. I do love series’ because you get to revisit the characters from previous books.  

15. Quick reads or long stories?

Long stories.

16. Romance as a side dish or the main course?

As the main course.

17. Erotica or soft romance or something in-between?

I like something in-between. My books are sexy, but also very heartfelt.

18. More action or humor?

I guess it just depends on my mood. A couple years ago I went through a phase where I would only read suspense romances. Then there are those days when I just need a good laugh.
J


Just for fun:

19. Vampires or Angels?

Vampires

20. Werewolves or Demons?

Werewolves


What are you currently working on?

Right now I’m starting a series that focuses on three brothers. It’s in the beginning stages and I can’t really tell you more, because I don’t know more. LOL.

Do you have any current release?

My first novel, Forgiving Patience, was released in January with Secret Cravings Publishing. It is the first book in the Patience Series.

Blurb:

Anna Kelly had no intention of returning to her hometown of Patience, Tennessee. At eighteen, feeling powerless from an abusive childhood and heartbroken from her high school sweetheart, she needed to put distance between her and the small town. Now, eleven years later she's invited to her best friend's wedding and has no other choice but to return. Though she feels much stronger the second time around, nothing can prepare her for when she sees her ex again.

After a baseball injury, Jake limped back into Patience, damaged and angry. Throwing himself into remodeling Anna's childhood home has given him purpose again. He is just getting his life back together. He can't risk sending it all back to hell again, but the woman who broke his heart has whipped back into town...and she wants her house back. In hopes of reminding Anna of what she ran away from all those years ago he makes her an offer she can’t refuse—three dates, that have Anna rethinking Patience...and the life she was supposed to have with Jake.


Secret Cravings Publishing
Amazon
Bookstrand
ARE
Barnes & Noble

Any upcoming releases?

Book two in the Patience Series, Loving Patience, will be released April 2013. I had so much fun with this one.


Blurb:

Liza Dyer has spent her career counceling and guiding her patients towards a more fulfilling life, so it’s a shock when she can’t stop her own life from falling apart. After a cheating ex she decides to escape to
Patience, Tennessee. Instead of confiding in her long-time friend, she finds herself revealing her painful secrets to sexy, ladies’ man Tex Avery.

Tex is a confirmed bachelor every woman in Patience is trying to catch. He is the last thing Liza needs, but once again she can’t help herself—especially when he shows up at her hotel door looking depleted and leaving her breathless. It’s in her nature to want to help with the emotional pain Tex is going through, but her counseling is not welcomed. Liza is determined to not give up on him…but will their connection be enough to convince her to once again put her heart on the line.


Where can readers find you on the internet?



EM: Thank you so much for joining me!

JS: Thank you, Elizabeth for hosting me today. I loved all your questions. I really don’t know why I was so nervous…lol.

EM: I'm glad you had fun.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for having me, Elizabeth. You're questions were a lot of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed yourself, Jen. Thank you for stopping by, it was a pleasure having you. :-)

      Delete