Monday 10 June 2013

My World Guest Author: Kathleen Bosman



EM: Welcome to My World, Kathleen. It is lovely to have you here today :-)

KB: Thank you so much for having me.

Firstly, can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I live in South Africa and I’m a busy homeschooling mom of two preteens and one teen. It gets hectic trying to understand high school Math as it’s changed so much or maybe I have. There is so much that goes into education. Finding time to write is hard but it’s my pleasure in life. I started writing romance about ten years ago and haven’t looked back. It was a rocky road to publication, but Dragonfly Moments is my third contracted book and I’m loving working with editors and professionals. That’s the best way to learn.

1. How long have you been writing for?

If you disregard my sporadic writing successes in school, about twelve years.

2. Did you always know that you wanted to be a writer?

I dreamed of it as a kid but then forgot about my dream when I became obsessed with other things. The dream revived years later when I had babies and looked after them full time.

3. What is your favourite genre to read? To write? And why?

I like reading a range of genres but mostly sweet contemporary romance. I enjoy historicals, inspirationals, and occasionally romantic suspense. I rarely move away from romance but sometimes read woman’s fiction or fantasy. It has to be really good then.

I like to write sweet contemporary the most because it comes naturally to me. I’ve tried several other genres with less success.

4. Who is your favourite author? Fave book? And why?

Wow, that’s a very hard question. I’ve read too many brilliant books in my life to rate one above the rest.

5. How do you get your ideas?

Sometimes it’s like drawing water out a rock.

Seriously though, I start from the setting and where my characters are in their lives – what they do, what their needs and aspirations are and why they need someone to romance them. Sometimes ideas come to me like a flash of lightening and other times, I have to think and think and even then, nothing comes.

6. In your opinion what is the hardest part of the writing process?

Refer to question 5 – coming up with a new book idea is honestly the hardest. And sticking to it.

7. In your opinion what is the best part of the writing process?

I love writing the Black Moment and the Happily Ever After – so satisfying. And I actually enjoy the editing with an editor which makes your book feel like it’s going to be great.

8. Are you a planner or a panster?

Panster for sure. I only plan the basic premise of the book. I’ve tried plotting books before and it just kills the book for me. I can’t write it after that. It’s the element of unknown, of taking a step in the dark, that I crave.

9. Do you prefer to concentrate on one story, or juggle a few?

One story at a time. I like to stew on it and get into my characters’ heads and hearts.

10. Tell us about one of the most favourable scene you have written.

I loved writing the dragonfly scene in Dragonfly Moments. I loved how Ryan used the dragonflies to convey a message to Tessa that changed the way she saw herself and her life.


11. Out of all the characters you have created, who is your favourite and why?

My favourite character is Win from a book that should be coming out in the latter half of the year. He’s a perfectly gorgeous and flawed hero. I love how he rises above his woundedness and becomes the perfect hero for Elaine. And he’s hot, too, being a professional swimmer.

12. If you could meet any fictional character, who would you meet and why?

Aslan from “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.” Here’s a quote from the book:

“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”

Are you working on anything at the moment?

I’m working on No 2 for the Creator Series with the Ubuntu Line for Decadent Publishing. My book is set in Zambia where I lived for seven years. I’m also doing content edits for my novel coming out in July called Cosmetic Heart.

Do you have any current release?

Dragonfly Moments (no 1 for the Creator Series) came out on the 21st of May 2013.

Blurb:

A young woman’s first love walks back into her life at the worst time possible—she is about to start a family with another man. But when her dreams begin to crumble, which one will be there to help her pick up the pieces?

Seven years earlier, at university, Tessa Calitz wrote a letter to Ryan le Roux promising her undying love. As time passed, she forgot about that letter...but not Ryan, who clung to the hope that she would wait for him.

Such is not the case when he walks back into her life. Tessa is in a serious relationship, and is busy setting up her art gallery in Johannesburg. She has plans to start a family, and the arrival of Ryan into her life throws her for a spin.

He is the worst thing that could happen to her dream of stability and starting a family...or is he?

Because when her relationship and everything she clung to starts to crumble, Ryan is right beside her to inspire her to greater things.

But her obsession for having her own child pushes Ryan away when she falls in love with an orphaned HIV-positive baby.

What can Ryan do to make Tessa realize that being with him is what her heart has longed for all along?

Purchase link:




Any upcoming releases?

My sweet, contemporary novel, Cosmetic Heart, will be released by Astraea Press in early July.

Blurb:

When Lisa’s playboy boss asks her to pose as his fiancĂ©e for a family get-together in New Year, she agrees if he will consider her request to change his promotions policy at the magazine. Lisa is bored of her cosmetic artist position and secretly wishes to write articles for magazines. When she spends time with Daniel, who has always seemed aloof and intimidating to her, she begins to fall for him and his family. But Lisa has secrets that Daniel mustn’t know. As he pursues her and starts to fall in love with her, it becomes more difficult to hide them from him.

When Daniel discovers those secrets, will he forgive Lisa and will she learn to trust him despite his reputation as a player?

Purchase link: Hasn’t been released yet.

Where can readers find you on the internet?
My tweets are found at: https://twitter.com/KathleenLBosman 
My facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/KathleenBosman 

Any advice you would like to give aspiring writers?

Don’t give up on your dream to be published. Write, write and keep writing for that’s how you learn. Read up on writing craft and get fellow writers to critique your work. Be willing to take their criticism to heart because that’s what will make you a good writer. And very important: you can never stop learning. Being published in no way means you have arrived.

EM: Thank you so much for joining me!

KB: It’s a great pleasure! Thank you for allowing me to post on your blog.


~ * ~


Competition Time!


Kathleen is so kindly giving away a PDF copy of Dragonfly Moments to one lucky commenter. 
The deadline for the giveaway is Monday, the 18th June. So, please put your name and email address in the comment as follows: Joe Soap: joesoap(at)happynet(dot)com, to be in with a chance of winning.

5 comments:

  1. Looks great!!! I love all things Decadent. delphinareadstoomuch at yahoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to get to know more about you, Kathleen! All the best with your new release, and upcoming release!

    jessicasubject.writer(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Delphina and Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant wait to read this book!!

    Natalie Wilburn
    graycesavage@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete