Saturday 30 September 2017

Saturday Snip: "I knew there was such a thing as dragons and fairies."


Saturday snip is the short snippet I will have created using all your suggested dialogue or description etc from this weeks Wildcard Wednesday. I will always aim to have this posted by midnight each Saturday.

This is the first Saturday Snip I have done as this week I received my first Wildcard on Facebook. The suggestion was the following dialogue, "I knew there was such a thing as dragons and fairies."

Below is the short story created from that one suggestion. It isn't edited as Wildcard Wednesday & Saturday Snip are just a little bit of fun. Though I have to say after writing the below I know find myself curious about these characters. So who knows maybe we will hear more from them in the future. Enjoy!

~ * ~

"Zanya, what have you done?" a gravely voice asked in the darkness.
Zanya?
"It's not my fault Cillian, she followed me."
"Followed you?" I wheezed. Boy, we must have hit the tarmac harder than I thought.
My eyelids fluttered the minimal movement causing splinters to pierce into my temples. "With all due respect little lady you were in the middle of the road." 
"How many times must I tell you Zanya; you must not cross into their world." The male commented, his voice a little clear with each passing second.
Who is this guy? And what on earth is he going on about?
Pressing my palm into the grass, I pushed myself onto my side and looked up at the fair haired girl who I'd just risked life and limb for.
"Seriously kid, you shouldn't play in the middle of the road." I pushed myself off the ground so I was sitting. My arms and legs ached as if someone had hit me with a baseball bat. "It's dangerous. If I hadn't-" words died on my tongues as my gaze moved past the impish child; fixating on the lush forest and hills that lay before me. Gone was the hustle of central Dublin, not a shop, car or pedestrian in site.
"Where the hell am I?"
"Somewhere you shouldn't be." Came a masculine growl.
I tilted my head back my eyes locking with the hungry golden gaze of a monster. A scream tore from my gut and without thinking I scrambled to my feet and headed for the trees.
What the shit is going on? Is this a dream? It must be. The car hit me and I'm in hospital... oh shit I could be in a comma...
"Don't be frightened." In a blink the young girl was floating in front of me.
I skidded to a halt, falling hard on my backside.
"What the F-"
"Cillian wont hurt you. He's just angry with me that's all."
"What-what the hell are you?"
"I'm a fairy silly. Surely the wings are proof enough." And with that she spun round to reveal actual wings. They were so fine and thin; shimmering in the sun. They reminded me of frost. The way it would blend into the concrete and make the dull bricks look as though someone had painted them with glitter.
"You can't be real," the words fell from my lips on a gasp.
"Of course we're real." She landed on the grasp. "That's the problem with humans; even when you have proof staring you in the face you choose not to believe." She knelt beside me, her slender hand cradled my face. Her skin was soft and warm, and real.
"My grandmother use to tell me stories. She said she had seen your kind..."the words came rushing out.
Folk-tales. All grandparents told bed time stories; most grandparents sworn blind that those stories were the truth. I loved her stories. How could I not love tales of magic and beautiful creatures, but that's all they were; stories.
The fairy straightened and held out her hand. "All stories originate from somewhere."
Without thinking I placed my hand in hers and with strength you wouldn't imagine such a delicate creature to have, she pulled me up until I stood on my own two feet.
"I'm Zanya." She said with a smile.
"Meredith."
"And this," she walked past me and indicated to the large creature in front of me, "is Cillian. He's my guardian."
"He's a dragon."
"Clever one, isn't she?" the beast angled a look at Zanya.
I must have hit my head. I must be in a hospital somewhere and they are pumping shit loads of drugs into me. That's definitely what is happening, because there is no way I'm stood in front of a gigantic, crimson dragon... am I?
I could feel my stomach turning; the world was turning on its axis and before I knew it my body hit the  ground.
"Meredith?" Zanya hovered above me, right before Cillian's head appeared and blocked out the sun.
 "I knew there was such a thing as dragons and fairies." A small voice whispered inside my head, before I passed out once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment