Sunday 28 August 2011

My World Guest Interview: Empress LaBlaque

So, today is the first day I attempt to interview another author. I have a few authors lined up over the next couple of months for y'all. So be sure to keep checkin in every week to see who has been brave enough to come hang in my world. *cue - evil laughter*


We kick off this new event with the awesome Empress LaBlaque . . . .

EM: Welcome to My World. It is lovely to have you here today, Empress : )


Firstly, can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I'm sort of a Johnny-come-lately to Interracial Mainstream Romance. Most people feel uncomfortable with unfamiliar writing styles. Never-the-less, E-Romance is ever changing. Humor excites me, plus I’m a bit eccentric. Mixing words to create an unusual stream is my ultimate writing goal. My Mainstream Romance is hardly typical. When you pick up my book, open your mind, then expect the unexpected. Characters will leap from the pages with realistic idiosyncrasies, and in-your-face honesty.


1. How long have you been writing?

When I was seventeen, I took an interest in True Confessions stories. As I read, I grew anxious to share my own stories. A few years later, I was published and proud. I still have those earlier magazines, they keep me grounded.


2. What is your favorite genre to write? And why?

Well, I can’t be pushed into a box, I don’t fit. If I stick to one genre I’ll get bored. Variety is the spice of life, so I’ll write anything. Under the Interracial Romance genre, I write: Mainstream Romance, Paranormal, Western, Time Travel, Vampires, Mysteries, Suspense, or anything that interests me at the time. I also like writing from different points of view. One example: Hellcat on a Leash was written from a sightless point of view. This e-book challenged my sense of touch, smell, and hearing. It was quite an unusual experience. And of course, I sprinkle humor in everything I touch.


3. How do you get your ideas?

My creative process is activated by anything I see, hear, or feel. My brain is an endless mass of strange ideas. If I’m curious or passionate about something, it stokes my thought process. Anything that tugs at my emotions will become fuel for writing. Mostly, my characters are born in my imagination. Sometimes, the characters do have familiar traits, but usually they’re a smooth blend of several unique individuals. However, when I want a woman who’s a real witch, I call upon the personality traits of my younger sister. Everything she does is noteworthy. Love you sis.


4. In your opinion what is the hardest part of the writing process?

Like everyone else, I hate the editing process as each publisher is different. All in all, it’s a grand learning tool. Of course, I want my work to shine. I’ll do whatever they ask of me.


5. Do you prefer to concentrate on one story, or juggle a few?

When writing, I wipe out one story at a time. If I juggle stories, I have to recall what color eyes and hair, I gave the hero. My motor gets stuck on one story, until I finish the product.

EM: That's pretty much the case for me. I do envy any writer who can juggle projects.


6. Tell us about one of the most favorable scene you have written.

I have several scenes that haunt me daily. When I gaze over my book covers, a memorable scene leaps from each one. Perhaps, it was a touching scene. Maybe it was amusing or well written. Mostly, it sends shocks through-out my nervous system, or even brings tears. In The Paper Doll, the conversation between a husband and wife moves me. Whisky has been arrested and falsely accused of drug possession. Unfortunately, his brother planted the drugs and wants Whiskey out of his way. After all, he had Blanca first. Now, Blanca visits her husband, Whiskey, in jail.

Excerpt from The Paper Doll.

On Friday, Blanca went to visit Whiskey. When she saw how frail he was getting, her heart sank. Trying to hide her displeasure, Blanca smiled nervously. His skin was dry; his curly hair lacked the luster it once had. As he sprawled himself upon his chair, he hardly looked at her. After moments of silence, he spoke. “I’ve failed my family, Blanca.”

A shiver ran over her body. “Shh, don’t say that.”

Whiskey cocked his head to one side. “Look at you, Bee. Why are you wearing those oversized clothes?” He raised his palms as he looked his wife over. “What is this shit? You lost in that dress, or what?” Whiskey pointed to her bare arms. “The straps are falling off your shoulders. It looks like a damn trash bag. You have better clothes than that.” After a pause he nodded. “Damn! You’re getting thin.”

Blanca lips stretched into a sheepish grin, as she lied. “I’m on a diet, baby. I want to look good when you come home.”

“Baby, baby, even a dog wants a little meat on his bone.” He sat up straight. “Look at your hands, Blanca. What happened to those beautiful hands I used to kiss?”

Quickly, Blanca brewed another lie. “Whiskey, I’ve been helping your mother. You know how she loves her flowers, especially since she can’t get out anymore.”

Whiskey snarled, then shook his head. “You have a standing appointment for your nails, Bee. I don’t believe a damn thing you’re saying.”

Unfortunately, he knew his wife well. Blanca felt uneasy under his observations. “It’s true, Whiskey. Why bother to get my nails done?”

He pointed to her head. “Why do you have that rag on your head?”

Blanca touched the black scarf tied around her head, pulling it down in the rear. “I haven’t had time to go to the beauty shop, baby.”

“Take it off,” he demanded.

Reluctantly, Blanca reached up and removed the scarf. She looked at her husband with averted eyes. The scowl on his face reflected his disapproval. “How long has it been since you’ve had your hair done?”

“Baby,” she insisted, “it doesn’t matter.”

“Yes.” He nodded. “It does matter, Bee.” His eyes melted over her.

“Just look at you—you’re wasting away to nothing, and your hair looks like crap. Has it gotten that bad?”

Blanca tried to brighten the conversation. “I’ve got good news. Your mother’s cancer is in remission.” She smiled fretfully, nodding. “Isn’t that great?”

The Paper Doll. Red Rose Publishing.


11. Of all the characters you’ve created, who is your favorite and why?

I would have to say that Pantheon is my favorite character. Not only is he an alpha male, he’s from a planet where women are almost extinct. I agonized over Pantheon’s strange personality. I wanted him to have a textbook knowledge of earth, but no idea how to relate to earth’s women. Shyra taught him how to treat a woman, as well as how to cater to her needs. Of course, there is humor. Pantheon has a command of English through a built-in translator. However, he mixes up phrases and their meanings. This situation makes pretty humorous conversation. The sad part is—though well written, according to reviews the story unfolds much too quickly. To those reviews, I say, slow down. Savor the flavor. You’re reading much too quickly.

IR, Nobleromance.com


Are you working on anything at the moment?

Believe it or not, I’m taking a few days away from the keyboard. But, I have several new books on the way. My Revenge Anthology is published by Red Rose. As of date: 5 volumes, and something for everyone.


Do you have any current release?

Blurb: Hellcat on a Leash: IR Romance

Can animal psychology tame a hellcat? Left blind by a terrible accident, Kenda learns that money can’t buy happiness. Now, she’s resentful, hostile and callous. No one can penetrate the darkness in her life. Repulsed by her lack of gratitude, a tall Texan uses animal psychology to tame this hellcat.

(Warning! Skewed Language & Humor) Whispers Publishing

Purchase link: http://whispershome.com/erotic/hellcat-on-a-leash/


Any upcoming releases?

Yes! Ciao Bella, by Whispers Publishing, Chateeva’s Charm, by Muse Publishing, and A Demon in Stilettos, also by Whispers.


Blurb: Her Crystal Chameleon: IR Romance

To add a little spice to my marriage, I started seeing a guy named Rustin. I did some pretty crazy things, but I was so starved for love that—well, you know. With chestnut hair and dreamy hazel eyes, Rustin was shockingly handsome. His cute dimples, moist tawny skin, brawny shoulders, and tight abs, drove me absolutely insane.

Rustin needed a place to stay and I needed a man. Pretending Rustin was gay was the perfect plan. That way, Barron would be none the wiser. At first, Rustin laughed at the idea. Being homosexual was not his thing. From his stunned expression, I’m sure he thought I’d lost my mind. Then a light when off in his head. Bingo, we could be together any time we wished. After all, most women have that one gay guy friend who gives sound advice or marvelous fashion tips. So, Rustin became my friend/lover.

Red Rose Publishing.

Purchase link: http://redrosepublishing.com/books/index.php?manufacturers_id=135&osCsid=5adb6b180dc63c7170b3765344035b59

Red Rose Publishing

Wearing Big Girl Panties, Her Crystal Chameleon, The Paper Doll, Caught in a Spider’s Web, My Italian Vendetta.


Where can readers find you on the internet?

My website is empresslablaque.com. Walk through the entire site. There are blogs, free reads, new IR releases and a coming soon section.

Empress LaBlaque: Noble Romance, Amira Press, Decadent Publishing, Red Rose Publishing, Whispers Publishing, empresslablaque.com


Any advice you would like to give aspiring writers?

Sure. To aspiring writers, I say read, write, and find your passion. If you enjoy what you write, most times, others will too.

EM: Thank you so much for joining me today! : )
Thank you so much Elizabeth. I love to reach out and touch readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment