Monday 16 April 2012

My World Guest Interview: Emily Guido



EM: Welcome to My World, Emily. It is lovely to have you here today! :-)

Firstly, can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

Hello, I’m Emily Guido.  I’m a new Independent Paranormal Romance Author of “Charmeine” the First Novel in “The Light-Bearer Series.”  I am very green at the whole process and constantly in awe of authors and how hard they work.  I work fulltime at a college and go to MBA school fulltime also.  In between all that I cook, do laundry, take care of my husband and cats… and then I write!  Like they say no rest for the wicked ;) 



1. How long have you been writing for?

I used to write kick-ass college essays but never ventured into creative writing except in my personal journals.  Now what inspired me to write this series of novels was I got a silly movie playing in my head of these two lovers which were total and complete opposites who had to battle Heaven and Hell to be together!  Not a prosaic or normal love story though, Tabbruis and Charmeine’s relationship is complex and wonderfully flawed.


  1. Did you always know that you wanted to be a writer?
I was always creative, and blogged recently before I started writing “The Light-Bearer Series.”   , and had a wonderful penchant for being a brainstormer.  I played violin and sang professionally when I was younger and acted in musicals.  My last role was “Mrs. Potts” from “Beauty and the Beast”!   

  1. What is your favourite genre to read? To write? And why?
To be serious, my only sis, Connie, and I would watch the soap operas, “All My Children” and “Dark Shadows”!!!  She would kibitz about the gorgeous guys, and I was too young to know what the heck she was talking about.  I sat there by her hospital bed laughing because she would holler at the screen when Collinwood was visited by a naïve person who would be Barnabas Collins’ next dinner item. When she died at 16 of Leukemia, I had a big whole in my heart. I began to read vampire stories as a favorite, because it connects me to her in a way.

  1. Who is your favourite author? Fave book? And why?
To pin down a favorite would be impossible.  I loved Bram Stoker’s, “Dracula,” I remember sneaking off to the library to read it. I’m fond of Anne Rice’s “Vampire Chronicles”, those characters had such a longing… I could feel it in the pages as I turned them. Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series was an inspired historical paranormal romance. I couldn’t put the books down and got a serious man crush on the hero in the series, Jamie Fraser, yums!  I read “Love Immortal” by Felicity Heaton and started voraciously reading her novels because they are packed full of romance and action; additionally, the characters are strong and beautiful.

  1. How do you get your ideas?
I really don’t know how I got this idea of “The Light-Bearer Series.”  Like I said, I had this inspiration of two people struggling just to stay together and love each other. Adversity, passion, heartache, and triumph are so luscious and beautiful to write about that the words just dripped off my fingers onto the page.  I couldn’t write fast enough to keep up.

  1. In your opinion what is the hardest part of the writing process?
Oh God that has to be editing and finding uninterrupted time to write.  I would rather run a marathon than edit.  Editing is the bane of my existence.  Knowing what to keep, what to cut and then be an English professor slashing through with the red pen is not a job I relish.  Also, when I write, I need blocks of uninterrupted time.  I can’t write a few sentences, then check on dinner or laundry and then come back and write a few sentences more.  I need to have time to focus, so I spend a lot of late nights typing and usually like to stay up all night if I can.  The house is very quiet and I can concentrate.

  1. In your opinion what is the best part of the writing process?
I love writing the Men!  The best part of writing about all the hunky, gorgeous men in my novel is… I get to write the men just how I want them…ah the sweetness!  I construct the men in my novel with strengths, insecurities, and emotional barriers all tied up in a divine, muscular, Greek God, yummy body.  I do love to write one to one scenes between my characters, intimate and otherwise.  I love exploring their relationship and how complex it is.  Even in the minor characters, I develop them and give the reader time to invest.  I can’t stand reading a book that goes character hopping without developing them. Character hopping doesn’t make me interested, it loses me.

  1. Are you a planner or a panster?
I am a good planner because I am so busy with work, home, school and homework.  I couldn’t do half I do without my lists and scheduling.

  1. Do you prefer to concentrate on one story, or juggle a few?
I love to juggle!  I wrote the first novel, sketched the second and outlined the third.  Now, I’m doing the same thing with the second novel.  It makes it fun to see how my characters will turn out a couple novels down the road.

  1. Tell us about one of the most favourable scene you have written.
My favorite scene I have written so far was deep in the first novel “Charmeine” when Tabbruis finally realized Charmeine was his beginning and his end, and she was leaving him because of his stupidity.  I was crying while I wrote the scene.  I was a wreck because it was so sentimental, romantic and I truly, honestly did not know if they would end up together.  The wonderful and delicate interaction between them was so fine that even a sigh could be interpreted in the wrong way.  It was truly a scene that tore me up emotionally because it was so wracked in longing.

  1. Out of all the characters you have created, who is your favourite and why?
I should say Charmeine but it has to be Tabbruis.  He is very complicated and warped. However, Tabbruis is also strong, proper and infinitely male.  His sensuality just jumps off the page.  I loved writing this twisted, tortured and indignant soul.  When he cried, it held my heart hostage because it took so much for him to let his defenses down. 

  1. If you could meet any fictional character, who would you meet and why?
I would love to meet Felicity Heaton’s character, Hyperion.  I have a serious man crush on him.  I just love his sense of humor, strength and good looks.
  
Are you working on anything at the moment?

I am editing “Ransom” the Second Novel of “The Light-Bearer Series.”

Do you have any current release?

“Charmeine” the First Novel in “The Light-Bearer Series.”

Fireball snippet from: “Charmeine” the First Novel in “The Light-Bearer Series”

“Her Blood and His Desire”

 

Preface:

Charleen does not know yet that she isCharmeine, the Queen of the Light-Bearershere is a snippet of the first intimate moment she has with Tabbruis… a vampire, blood-hunter!


Tabbruis gently touched her head and said, “I can heal the cut and bump. Please let me heal you?”
Charleen said, “I trust you, but how?”
Tabbruis looked into her eyes and said, “Trust me, I will not hurt you.” Charleen not knowing what to expect agreed. Tabbruis took her head and leaned it over to him with her forehead on his chest.
Suddenly, Charleen felt a warm, wet bolt of lightning going through her which did not hurt. She grabbed Tabbruis around his waist to steady herself.
Tabbruis did not know why but her blood was exquisite. He had never tasted someone’s blood which fired his passion. He pulled her closer to him.
She could hear him softly growl as he licked the wound which thrilled her. She started to moan gently with feelings of pleasure.
He felt her chest swell and her heart race.
Tabbruis fought to keep his fangs in his gums. Her blood was like an answer to his hunger which had burned in him for centuries.
Tabbruis felt incredible power in her blood. The blood was intoxicating him with her sensuality and sexuality. 
Tabbruis’ feelings were intensifying, and he could not control the overwhelming urge to take her into his arms and never let her go until they both had sweet relief.
She moaned again louder digging her nails into his back.
Tabbruis knew she was as excited as he was. His breathing became heavy, and her body hummed with desire.
At that moment, Tabbruis felt his fangs had appeared! He quickly moved away from her turning around and covering his mouth.
Charleen opened her eyes. She had a hunger she never had before, a hunger for this man in front of her. She said breathlessly, “Why… did you… stop? What’s the matter? Have I done something… wrong?”
Tabbruis’ fangs retracted and he took his hand down. Tabbruis turned around panting and saw her brown eyes full of desire; he knew she wanted him also.
Charleen could see the desire in his deep green eyes which had black rings of smokiness in them. He shook his head trying to catch his breath and said, “In my life, I have never tasted blood so powerful and intoxicating.” 



Purchase link: Barnes and Noble


Any upcoming releases? 

May 2012, “Ransom” the Second Novel of “The Light-Bearer Series.”

Where can readers find you on the internet? 
Website www.emilyguido.com
Twitter: @emily__guido

Any advice you would like to give aspiring writers?

Look at other author blogs. Open all forms of social media and blog.  Read what other authors have to say.  Go to as many reviewer blogs as you can to get reviews of your book.  Adopt self-promotion.

EM: Thank you so much for joining me, Emily!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing that yummy excerpt, Emily! :-)

    ReplyDelete