Wednesday 15 August 2012

My World Guest: Kaylie Newell


Thank you so much for having me, Elizabeth!  I’m very, very excited (insert clapping hands here) about the upcoming release of my first “naughty” novella, Teaching Officer Lonesome.  This is a story that’s been calling to me for a long time.  It’s a steamy May/December with a police officer hero.  Most people who have read my stuff won’t be surprised about the cop part ;)  I definitely have a thing for a man in uniform when it comes to romances.  I worked in a small police department for nine years and during that time, I chalked up a lot of writing inspiration.  This is one of those stories.

Teaching Officer Lonesome is about a young woman from the wrong side of the tracks.  Hope Marlow is tough and jaded.  She’s also a seasoned vet when it comes to sultry one night stands.  When she’s pulled over one hot summer afternoon by a sexy cop twice her age, she’s not surprised to find herself attracted to him.  But Jack is still reeling from his wife’s death a year ago.  Where Hope sees nothing wrong with casual sex, Jack craves an emotional connection.  Even though he’s attracted to her too, he misses love in his life and can’t justify a quick encounter with someone half his age.  But Hope wants to show him how fulfilling lust alone can be.  As she sets out to seduce him, the wheels are set in motion for two people to be taught a little something about lust and love.

I can’t wait for readers to meet Hope and Jack.  I think they might just fall in love with this couple like I did. J Teaching Officer Lonesome is coming out August 20th and will be available in digital format through Barnes and Noble, Amazon and my publisher’s website, http://www.beachwalkpress.com.

Elizabeth, thank you again for having me!  I’ll leave you with an excerpt from Teaching Officer Lonesome, in the hopes that it’ll leave your readers wanting a little more ;)


~ * ~
Excerpt:

Before her knees could touch the linoleum, he grabbed her and pulled her up again. “I don’t even know you, Hope. And you don’t know me. Don’t you think there’s something off here?”

“No.”

He grunted.

“Well, I don’t,” she said. “You’re a guy. Guys like sex. They understand it. They relate to it. It’s how you operate. Lucky for you, I happen to speak guy.”

The beginnings of a smile touched his lips. “I don’t operate like that. I don’t just sleep with random women. I need more than this.”

More than this. Hope considered herself pretty tough. She was young, but she’d seen a lot. Her father’s abuse, her mother’s abandonment, extreme poverty. She’d seen her fair share. But despite that, hearing those words coming from this man, hurt. A lot. She wasn’t good enough.

She dropped her hands and stepped back. “I see.”

He must have recognized the look on her face, because he immediately reached out again. She pulled away and sat heavily on the couch.

“That’s not what I meant.”

She bit the inside of her cheek, unable to look at him. “I know what you meant. And that’s okay. It really is.”
Liar. It’s not okay. It’s never going to be okay. The steel wall around her heart magically gained another layer as she made a bitter mental note. It’s official. Sexy, older soccer dads who look fantastic in their work uniforms, and who also happen to be handy around the house, are off your list, missy.

Jack bent down and took her hands. When she tried to pull them back, he tightened his grip. “Will you listen to me for a second?”

She stared at the floor as if it were the most interesting thing in the world. When he touched his fingers to her chin, they were warm and calloused, rough and sexy. He raised her head gently until she had no choice but to look him in the face.

“That’s not what I meant,” he said, his voice low. “You’re a beautiful young woman. Any man would be lucky to have you.”

She clamped her teeth together. I will not cry, I will not cry, I will not cry. She must be premenstrual.
“I didn’t mean I need more than this.” Emphasizing the last word, his eyes fell, lingering for a moment on her breasts. “I meant I need more in the form of a relationship.”

“A relationship?” She searched his face for any sign he was joking, but found none. He really was too good to be true. “Seriously?”

“Why’s that so hard to believe?”

“I’ve just never met a guy who actually wanted a relationship before sex.” She smiled a little, but he remained serious.

“I don’t think sex should be a casual thing. I think you should love someone first. Or at least have feelings for them.”

Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, she wondered if she could convince him otherwise. She happened to know sex could be mind-blowing, even if you weren’t head over heels in love.

“Can I ask you something?” she said.

He sat back on his heels. “Shoot.”

“How many women have you been with?”

His face colored, even through the thick, dark stubble which prickled his neck and jaw. “That’s none of your business, Hope.”

“I think it’s relevant to the conversation we’re having.”

“I’m not discussing this with you.”

“Maybe you should.”

He was quiet for a minute, and so was she. They stared at each other for a long moment before he spoke again.

“I’m flattered. I really am. But I’m too old for you.”

You think you’re too old for me. I feel differently.”

He smiled in a way that said he was done talking about it. “I’m too old for you. But I’d like to be friends. Do you think we can manage that?”

Sure. Whatever.

Sticking his hand out to shake, he was suddenly Officer Malone again. The aloof and businesslike cop who had stopped her last week for the blinker thingy.

“Sure,” she said, feeling like a little girl with a hopeless crush. “Friends.”

2 comments:

  1. Yummy. Love me a cop...as long as he let's me go with a *cough* stiff warning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *snickers at Jaye* But amen to that. ;-P

    Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing a fab excerpt with us, Kaylie. :-D

    ReplyDelete