About Me

My photo
United Kingdom
A pick 'n' mix genre author. "I'm not greedy. I just like variety."

Saturday, 29 May 2010

Phases of Writing

For those of you who write you will know the wonderful happy feeling you get from finishing your new story, whether it is a short story or a long novel.

I wont pretend that I never get stressed during the process because that would be a HUGE lie. I have phases.

Phase One - New Idea
Its so new. So shiny. I love it. Lets make a note of it in my journal.

Phase Two - The planning
I love this idea. Okay planning. Plot line. Worldbuilding. Characters. Chapter by chapter Synopsis (always room for change) Okay planning done....

Phases Three - Beginning it
Hmmm needs to be a catchy. Hook the reader. Hmmmmm. I can always change it if I dont like it but still... hmmmmm.... oh i know....

Phases Four - Writing your story (the first part)
Yes, this is good. I cant wait to get to the good bits. Get the ball rolling...

Phases Five - Writing your story still (the middle part)
Then this happens and that. Oh that is a brilliant idea lets add that in. I dont know if i like that but leave it for now. To soon for that. Oh easy tiger. He didnt!!!

Phases Six - Writing your story... will it never end? (the last part)
This is shit. What am I thinking? This doesnt even make sense. I suppose I could add that in... will have to change that other thing though... I hate this book. Why wont it die?

Phase Seven - The Climax
DIE! DIE! DIE! Oh hang on...... there, that is okay for an ending.... for now.

Phase Eight - Realization
ITS FINISHED. OH MY GOD ITS FINISHED. (Pass out)

Phase Nine - Break
(Digs hole and burys story) I will be back in a month I promise (Covers hole)

Phase Ten - Edits
(Digs up story) Okay, time to edit. (Reading) Well I like that bit but I dont think that bit works... hmmmm.... (writing) thats better

Phase Eleven - Half way through edits
Oh god I have ruined it. What was I thinking making her do that? Im so stupid. This book is crap. When will this be over? Why did I even bother writing this stupid story in the first place??

Phase Twelve - Edits finished
Thank you jesus. I have finsihed. (cries) Okay beta readers....

Phase Thirteen - Beta Readers
(Sends it) You will be fine. Just stay clear and be bold and wow them all. (Prays) please dont let them hate it.

Phase Fourteen - Feedback
Thats good. That needs fixing. Hated that... great... need to change an entire chapter.... overall they liked well that good.

Phase Fifteen - Edits
Oh god why do I have to do this again?

Phase Sixteen - Beta Readers
Be good this time.

Phase Seventeen - Query and Synopsis
Hate synopsis. Hate them. Hate them. Dear agent... please represent me. Please. Please. Please my lovely agent, please love the story. My book is great I swear and if it isnt I will fix it I promise.

Phase Eighteen - Feedback
Change this and that and it will be fine. Grrrr*

Phase Nineteen - Edits
Last time... As if.

Phase Twenty - Sending it to an agent
(Kissing story) we have worked so hard. Impress them. Your amazing. I am so sorry I was so hard on you. You will do great. Now go on before I change my mind.

So there you go that is what I go through when I write. Sometimes it isnt pretty but finishing a project is so rewarding. I love it. And even if I want to kill the story at moment's I am still proud of the crap I write haha.

* I would just like to say to my Beta Readers that the grrr is not at them or the wonderful feedback they give me. The grrrrr is simply stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment